Honeycomb, in my naivety I thought it actually had honey it in.
Actually I think you can substitute the golden syrup for honey in this recipe, just remember its burns quicker so keep an eye on it. However being new vegans we still haven’t found a honey that we would be happy using so don’t.
This honeycomb recipe is super quick super easy and super tasty! In all honesty who doesn’t like honeycomb?
Honeycomb is made by using thermal decomposition reaction to produce gas bubbles.
The acid in the golden syrup reacts with the Bicarb of soda to form an unstable carbonic acid which breaks down and creates carbon dioxide. The bubbles that you see from the reaction are the carbon dioxide escaping the solution that is left. Carbon dioxide is heavier than air so it overflows the container and makes the solution appear to be doubling in size.
Other names of this is cinder toffee, honeycomb and Hokey pokey!
So without further hesitation here is the Honeycomb recipe!
- 1 Cup of caster sugar
- 5 TBLS of Golden syrup
- 1 1/2 TSP of Bicarbonate of Soda
- 1 pack of Vegan dark chocolate.
- Make sure you have all ingredients measured out properly and ready to go. This recipe moves quickly!
- So make sure you have a whisk, parchment lined tin and a scraper (i use a rubber spatula)
- Place a pot on the heat with the sugar and syrup. Let this melt try not to faff with it too much but you can give it a swirl with moving the pot in circular motions.
- Let it melt till it looks the colour of maple syrup so a slightly darker colour. This literally takes a few minutes keep a close eye on it!
- TURN OFF THE HEAT, ACT FAST – Whisk in the Bicarb of Soda and it will react very quickly, rising like a golden volcano.
- Grab the spatula and let it rise (3 seconds) quickly pour the mixture into a your lined tray, try not to scrape it too much just enough to pour it out.
- It will rise a little in the tin, try again not to bang it, as the air will release you want lots of bubbles in there!
- Leave to set, I pop it in the freezer for 5 minutes.
- In the meantime melt dark chocolate (we use Vegan chocolate) put a pot of boiling water on, and place a jug on top without it touching the boiling water.
- Place broken chocolate in and let it melt, stirring occasionally.
- Once you have the melted chocolate and the Honeycomb has set, break the honeycomb into pieces (I placed the tiny left over shards in a jar of ice cream sprinkles)
- Dip the honeycomb into the chocolate and let it set. I prefer to do this at room temperature but you can use the fridge.
There it is honey comb hokey pokey type ‘crunchie’ bars!
We use these as a sweet treat in our house and are quick and easy! Being so sweet you can only have one or two small pieces which is perfect!
Enjoy this super tasty treat!