Exploring different recipes that my kids are actually going to enjoy is interesting. I mean feral1 eats anything, he will definitely try something and eat it because he knows veggies are good for you and he likes his solid three meals very littler snacks.. Feral 2 has a picky, graze through the day appetite, maybe because he is so damn active he gets hungry often. He also struggles texture wise and quite often it will take 20 tries of something for him to decide he likes it. Feral3 similar to feral 2 except he eats very little, and alot, alot of apples. if anything gross’s him out he will not eat, he has an aversion to bready things and will only have 2-3 mouthfuls of dinner.
They are all so different so finding some staple meals that thy ALL enjoy is satisfying.
This has been claimed their favorite, it is good for dinner with potatoes whichever way you like em, more veggies on the side, as a picnic snack. Its a good one.
The ferals named this dish because of the puff pastry and the magic dragon song, Mike and I laughed at the possible euphemism of this title, never the less its funny, it fits, its tasty!
- Puff pastry (you can make your own but i find its just easier and better to buy it)
- 1 tin of tinned tomatoes
- 1 TSP Basil
- 1 TSP of coconut sugar or Pure maple syrup
- 1-2 TBLS of Nutritional yeast
- Coconut oil for frying off
- 1 Onion diced
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1 Carrot quartered and chopped
- 1 courgette quartered and chopped
- 1 Red pepper Chopped
- 1/2 cup of sweetcorn
- Handfull of spinach Ripped up
- Vegan Cheese (we use violife cheese block)
- Pre-heat your oven to 180C
- First off roll the puff pastry out and fold over the edges by 1 cm so they puff up once cooked. Put this to one side whilst you make the tomato sauce.
- Add your basil and a 1/4 of your chopped onion to a pot with some coconut oil.Stirring till the onion has softened.
- Add your tinned tomatoes and the coconut sugar, nutritional yeast and stir till bubbling (my kids like a little sweetness in their pizza sauce)
- You can either whizz this till smooth (is what I do for fussy mouths) or leave it with some texture.
- Set aside to let it cool.
- Add some coconut oil to a pan and fry off your diced onions, garlic and carrots. stirring so they don’t catch
- After 4-5 minutes add the courgette, red pepper, and sweet corn. Cook for a further 5-8 minutes (we like our veg crunchy so its preference to how you want your veggies)
- Once its nearly cooked throw in the ripped spinach for 1 minutes to slight wilt.
- Turn off and leave aside whilst you construct your pizza
- Pour the pizza sauce on the puff pastry sheet and spread around (you may only use half so store it for a pasta sauce during the week)
- Add your veggies and spread evenly throughout the pastry.
- If you want to you can add a few schlomps (as feral 3 calls them) of violife cheese sporadically dotted about on top.
- Stick it in the oven for 20-25 minutes
There you have it. Its a favorite of ours with home made chips. or to make in the morning for our trips out for lunch.
This is now solid favorite with my kids on their fussy eating days. Its also requested often, there is never any left over and is fairly quick and easy to make.
Hope you enjoy this Easy Vegan Puff the magic Pizza recipe!